Monday, June 4, 2012

Queens Diamond Jubilee Flotilla 2012

 My wife and I took the train from Dartford to London Bridge to check out the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Flotilla. Before we left we checked the web to see where we could stand and watch it all. When we got to London Bridge we walked down Tooley Street hoping to get to the riverside to get a view of the event. All the way down to Tower Bridge all the access to the river was blocked off by police and security. We were told we could watch the event on the video screens but would not be allowed access to the river. Many people were complaining that they had traveled miles to be there with their kids to see the event. We about-turned and managed to get a place to stand on London Bridge. On the bridge the public were guided between metal barriers in the road where it was almost impossible to see anything. I am over six feet tall so I could see the river and a few boats but my wife many other people struggled to see anything at all. The press were on the other side of the barriers and we managed to find a spot behind one of the television cameras where we finally had a fairly good view. The rain got worse and worse and as soon as the boats started to dwindle people started to disperse. On the way back to London Bridge station I saw this mask lying in the road all soggy and trampled and took a picture of it. I think it sums up our day more than any of the pictures I tried to take of the actual event. Eat your heart out Jamie Reid......God save the Queen!


No comments:

Post a Comment