Monday, June 6, 2011

Podcasts


I am still a proud owner of a second generation 20GB ipod which I still use on the train every day. Apart from my 3000 or so tracks I have on it I recently discovered some podcasts which adds another dimension to the brute. All the pod casts I have subscribed to are free which is a bonus.

My favourites are listed here:
British Invaders, which is about British science fiction television. There are over a hundred pod casts so far and the ones I have downloaded are very well put together. The presenters sound as if they put the programme together via a web link. The presenters introduce themselves as Brian from Canada and Eamonn from England. They cover some quite obscure British television programmes and give you the good and bad points of the series and where you can view them or if they are available on DVD. There was a double episode on Alternative 3 which was a spoof science documentary shown back in 1977, which inspired me to watch it on Google video. It is well worth a look. It runs for 54minutes.

Anyway British Invaders have there own website where you can download individual episodes or listen online. They have a forum on the site too. I subscribed to the podcast through ITunes. New episodes appear quite regularly. A top podcast and very easy to listen to on the train to work. Each episode is between 20 and 30 minutes.

Another podcast in the same sort of vein is from the wonderful Resonance FM which is a station I accidentally came across in the days of cassette radio Walkmans. I tuned into some weird interference which was the recordings of the sounds produced by people and traffic crossing one of London's Bridges. It was very experimental. It is the worlds first art radio station. The FM broadcast is very limited to a small area of London so the best way to listen to their programmes is via their website. Anyway on to the podcast, The Original Soundtrack Track Show . It is resented by Jonny Trunk who plays film Library and television music. The shows last about two hours.

Other Podcasts that I won't go into detail about but are worth a listen are:

The Modcast with Eddie Piller and Friends. Not specifically about mods but alot of mod culture creeps in. They go on for just over an hour and have taken off in a big way in a short time.

For music podcasts I mainly subscribe to 6Music podcasts

Tom Robinson's Introducing which is like a full CD of new music with a bit of talking between tracks. If anyone tells me that music today is rubbish I tell them to listen to this show first before passing comment.

Domino Records also have good podcasts and have free tracks from their artists. I don't like everything but one of my favourite bands is Clinic and they are on Domino. It is a very good introduction to new and up and coming artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment